Thursday 18 July 2013

Last days with Sharmila (until September)...


Thursday

Sharmila has three exhibits at Powis Castle until 3rd November and so it is vital for the volunteers to know about the work and so she gave a talk to them in the Ballroom where the works are displayed. They seem to be amazed at all the background information behind the work, and what amazes me is how the contemporary work sits so beautifully with the historic work .......it really is a perfect marriage and a real example I think to how historic and contemporary can work together .......WHEN DONE WELL!     ........ makes everything that much more interesting and simply ALIVE and relevant! 





In the afternoon Sharmila gave a talk to the public on the background information of the work and its coke bottle tops! (Sharmila refers to the bottle tops as TRASH!) Lots of interesting questions arose .......yes  it is amazing how an international material such as the bottle tops sit so comfortably with the ancient golden objects of India, yet lots of political questions arising underneath (the contemporary!) ......W W W !





 ..........love it !





That evening I stayed at Powis Castle and felt I was the bees knees! (I had now long forgotten that it was haunted!)





 .......Sharmila and I  walked in the garden with a few of the staff, it was hot and lets say beautiful and we had such a nice time, so nice.........suddenly Sharmila turned to me and said would I collaborate with her on the work she intended doing for Powis in September ..........could I make some felt as part of the work? ......I won’t tell you more! Otherwise you will know more than me !! 

.........I suddenly remembered waiting at the gate and noticing all the sheep shredding their wool 






....the TRASH    ..................Welsh trash ! 


(it is not collected or used today ...........although years ago it was .......nothing was wasted years ago ! ) 



Friday 

Sharmila is leaving Powis Castle and  Wales today and Christine is sad!  I have had such a great week .....saw so much , loved every minute. It was good to get to know the Meadow Arts team, Ben from Powis Castle and Sharmila of course.





So, we got up early ....raced out and Sharmila goes to collect the wool at the castle grounds 




               











............ WAIT UNTIL SEPTEMBER  !


Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment